Enjoying Life!

Enjoying Life!

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Superbowl Sunday

And, how are you spending it?  I guess most folks will have a party, bring over family and friends, eat lots of food, drink some beers, and have a great time.  Well, years ago, I used to do that.  Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe I just like my Sundays' to be quiet.  If the game came on earlier, I might actually have a party.  The game comes on late here on the "right" coast and by 8pm I'm usually falling asleep in my "green chair".   Oh well, I'm not really as boring as I sound!!!!    My hubby and I had a great Friday together.  I took the day off for a mental health break and enjoyed it tremendously.  Remember those meatballs and gravy I made last week?  Well, I made a lasagna and brought it to my girlfriend's house yesterday.  She purred through the meal.  I like that, as I've said before, I love to feed people and when they enjoy my food, it gives me great satisfaction.

So, speaking of food, I've been wanting turkey stew.  Why?  I have no idea.  So, this morning, out of my freezer came Thanksgiving's leftover turkey and the stock I had made.  It's in the pot now.  I'll let it cook for awhile and when the meat is falling from the bones, I'll debone it all, throw it back in the pot and make the stew. 

Basically, to make it, it's what you like more than what I do.  I add celery, carrots, onions, salt, pepper and a bay leaf or two.  I may even drop in some sage leaves depending on my mood.  I probably won't add potatoes, we both like noodles and rice more.  I'll add a little flour mixture to thicken it up.  I cook the rice and/or noodles separate and add them when serving.  This way you're not limited to what you want in your stew for a starch.  You can also make pot pie with the leftovers and of course, it's a great lunch meal.  That's kind of my plan.  I love leftovers for lunch when I'm staying in the office.  If I'm on the road, I make a sandwich so I can eat it easily.  It's definitely cheaper than buying lunch. 

Speaking of freezer, I found some bolognese sauce I had made awhile ago, that came out for dinners this week.  Yummy!  Next time I make it, I'll post the recipe.

So, now I'm just waiting for the turkey and watching endless pre-game shows on TV.  There are some good college hoops games on and of course the puppy bowl comes on soon too.  Have a great week everyone and hopefully next week won't be so boring on the cooking front!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment