Enjoying Life!

Enjoying Life!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Beef Rib Stew

Well, there is something falling from the sky today, it's clear, wet and falling steadily.  I think it's rain!  And, do we ever need it!  It's been so dry here, I thought we were going to have a draught. 

I had these ribs in my freezer, they are really thick and flat, I forget what they are called.  So, I decided to make a stew with them.  Now, let me describe them and maybe you'll figure them out.  Imagine a 5 inch long by 3 inches wide by 3 inches high layers of bone, meat, bone, meat.  That's what they look like.  The stew is cooking, the Flyers are on and so is the race from Kansas.  Tony started at 23rd today, but he has won at Kansas twice and once from 21st position.  So, I have some confidence he'll get to the front, but I don't know what his car is like today.  The Flyers are ahead 4-1 in the 2nd.  They win today, they go to the next round.

Here's the recipe:

4 of these ribs
flour to coat the ribs
salt, pepper
1 large onion, cut in 10ths
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 large carrots, large chop
2 stalks celery, large chop
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup red wine
beef broth and water
olive oil
6 quart stock pot

Salt and pepper the flour and coat the ribs.  Heat the oil and brown the ribs on all sides, remove.  Add the veggies, more salt and pepper, garlic and saute for a couple of mins.  Add the ribs back to the pot along with 20 oz of liquid, any combination of the above, plus the wine and bay leaves.  You may need more liquid later, or if not thick enough, add some flour mixed with water (about 1 tsp to 2 oz water).  Let simmer at med-low heat until the meat falls off the bone of the ribs, approximately 2 to 3 hours.  The longer it simmers, the better the flavor.  Don't forget to stir once in awhile, turning the ribs too so the mixture doesn't stick to the pot.

This recipe is basically the same as beef stew, you can use beef cubes, about 2 lbs or a piece of meat.  You can add chopped potatoes with about 45 mins left to cook.  Or, you can serve this with mashed potatoes or rice.  Whatever you fancy!  I prefer mashed potatoes, my husband prefers rice.  I'll decide that later.   I can always make both!!!

Enjoy!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. So this is what I have been missing since I got off teh Roths.list? Dam, glad i am back on it now. Can't wait to give this a try...

    Also, I am calling out a BLUES vs FLYERS Stanley Cup girl! Good luck this round against the Jersey! It should be a classic series for sure! Dan Roths

    ReplyDelete