Enjoying Life!

Enjoying Life!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Chicken n Dumplins'

It's been really cold here and all I've wanted was comfort food.  Last week it was beef barley soup and this week it was chicken n dumplings.  I've been longing to make them from scratch since my hubby really enjoys them.   2 weekends ago we went to Cracker Barrel and he had them as a side dish, just cause he wanted dumplings.  So, on to the Internet I go and found a recipe to make them.  There are many out there, so I chose the easiest one and I'm glad I did!  I made them today and, oh my, they were so good!!!  Here's the recipe, I hope you enjoy!


Chicken n Dumplins'


1 lb chicken
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
5 quarts of water
1 onion
salt and pepper to taste

This is a basic chicken soup recipe.  What I did different was use chicken breasts, boiled them first, strained the liquid to get the little bits of pieces out, then put the liquid back in the pot and got it up to it's temp.  I cooked the chicken on medium for at least an hour and kept "scumming" the top to take out the "foam".
Now for the dumplins'.............

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening OR
3 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup of water OR
1/3 cup of water

Mix the flour and salt first, then add the water.  Since I used butter, I needed more than the shortening and more of the water.  Cut the butter into the flour and with your hands form the mixture into a dough.  It will be a harder dough, not to worry.  Do this while the chicken is cooking, it won't take too long.  Wrap the formed dough in plastic and set it aside.

After you strain the broth, add the veggies.  Then roll out the dough on a large board or your counter top, flouring it first into about 1/4 inch thickness.  Cut the rolled dough into 2 inch strips.  Then tear the strips into either bite sized pieces or strips, whichever suits you.  You can also just cut them and have them uniform if it's easier for you.  Add them to the pot.  Make sure the salt is to your taste.  Cook the mixture until the soup is thickened.  I cooked the whole time on medium to low heat.  Be sure to stir frequently while the mixture is cooking and thickening so it doesn't stick to the bottom.  I use a 6.5 qt enamel coated cast iron dutch oven.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment