Enjoying Life!

Enjoying Life!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Daytona and Sausage

It's Sunday evening, spent all day waiting for the race to start, but alas it was a no go in Florida today.  It was the first time in 53 years the "500" was rained out.  Apparently, Daytona is situated on the thinnest part of land mass from coast to coast in Florida so the storm does not have enough land to break up.  Oh well, it's on tomorrow at noon and, of course, I'll miss it. 

So, while waiting for the race to start and watching pre-race activities which were boring because the announcers were unprepared, I decided to make sausage and peppers.  Now, this is a typical dish I used to make a lot for football games.  It's great on long rolls (hoagie or sub rolls) or over rice or pasta.  I like to make it juicy just in case I put it over something which I always do.  I made two pounds of sausage today, but you can only make one with this recipe if you like.  It's all about how much of each veggie you want.

Sausage and Peppers

2 pounds Italian Sausage (one hot, one sweet or both the same)
2 large bell peppers, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tomatoes, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt, pepper, hot pepper (if you want) to taste

In a large skillet, brown the sausage on all sides.  I use a non-stick frying pan 12" for 2 lbs of sausage.  The sausage does NOT have to be done.  Take the sausage out, put it on a plate.  Add olive oil to the pan so the veggies won't stick, about a tablespoon.  Add the onions, peppers, garlic and begin to saute, add the salt, pepper and hot pepper.  Keep in mind, the sausage will have salt as part of it's seasonings, so don't overdo it!  While this is cooking, slice your sausages.  If you use two different kinds like I do, I slice them differently - one on an angle, one as coins.  When the veggies begin to soften, add back the sliced sausages, their juices and tomatoes.  Mix well, stir the mixture so it doesn't stick.  You can cover it if you wish in order to keep the mixture juicy.  Cook until the sausage is completely cooked and tender. 

Serve over pasta or rice or make a sandwich whatever you fancy!  Enjoy!!!!!


One variation is to cook the sausage completely and either slice it keep it whole.  Cook the veggies separately, eliminating the tomatoes, keeping them "drier".  Only mix the two when you are going to make a sandwich.  This is really what you get when you order a sausage n peppers sandwich at a deli or restaurant.  I like the above recipe because I prefer the flavors blended together and use it over rice or pasta.  I rarely have good Italian rolls in the house, they get hard too quickly unless I only buy 2 of them - one for each of us.  We both prefer rice and pasta. 

Now, I do like bread, love it actually.  I like crusty bread with a firm inside (not airy) sliced and dip into seasoned olive oil.  (season with black pepper, red pepper and pecorino romano)  With it, I like some good prosciutto, sopresata, provolone, fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil.  Now, that's eating bread!!!!!   Or, for you west coasters, I used to love (and still do) good sourdough bread just spread with softened butter.  YUMMY!  I remember the days at Aunt Jean's and Uncle Bill's house in Saratoga and they'd have loaves of sourdough at the ready with lots of butter.  I couldn't go past the kitchen without slicing a piece!  I had to stay away from the kitchen or else it would all be gone!!!!!

Well folks, it's time to go for now.  I have training this week and need to do the "pre-work".  Have a great week and enjoy!!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment