Enjoying Life!

Enjoying Life!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday, a day for new things

Well, by new, I mean something my husband has never eaten before - Eggplant Gravy.  Why, you ask?  For one, he says he doesn't like eggplant.  OK, on its own, I can understand, like fried or parm or on pizza.  But, in a gravy?  I've decided it's time for him to try it.  I reminded him of his creed - try something once, if you don't like it, try again because you never know if something happened.  Then, if you don't like it the second time, don't try it again.  So, today I'm sticking to "the creed".  Last night I made Chicken Paprikash.  It's something my hubby makes for me and I thought I'd give it a try when I saw he took chicken legs out of the freezer.  It's so simple to make! 

Here are both recipes, I hope you make them and enjoy!!!


Chicken Paprikash

10 chicken legs or combination of legs/thighs
2 large onions
3 tablespoons butter
salt, pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp (more or less to taste) cayenne pepper
1/2 sour cream

Salt the chicken, set aside.  Slice the onions.  In a fry pay, melt the butter and brown the chicken on both sides about 5 minutes each until golden brown.  Be careful not to break the skin while turning the chicken.  After browning, remove the chicken and set aside.  Add the onions, brown and soften them, about 5-7 minutes, turning so as not to burn - medium heat.  Add the paprika, some salt, pepper mix well, then add the chicken stock.  Bring the heat up, then add the chicken to the mixture, cover and under medium to low heat, cook for about 30 minutes.  I like to cook it longer, it just tastes better when the chicken is falling off the bones.  Once the chicken is done to your liking, remove it again, add in the sour cream, mix well, bring up the heat, then return the chicken to the pan for final warming. 

Service over potatoes, egg noodles, rice - whatever your fancy!!!


Eggplant Sauce  (gravy to me!)

2 medium to large eggplants, peeled and cubed
2 small onions sliced
small bunch parsley, chopped
small bunch fresh basil leaves, chopped
salt, pepper
2 or 3 garlic cloves, smashed or chopped fine (to taste, I use roasted garlic for more flavor)
1/2 to 1 cup olive oil to fry the eggplant
2-28oz cans crushed tomatoes

In a large deep fry pan or dutch oven, heat the olive oil, saute the onions and garlic, add the eggplant, it will absorb all of the olive oil.  Turn constantly so the mixture does not burn.  When the eggplant mixture is softened well, add the parsley and basil, mix into the mixture.  Add the 2 cans of tomatoes, mix well, let simmer until the sauce is done (no raw tomato taste).  Cook under medium low heat so you don't burn the mixture, stirring occasionally.  About 1/2 way through cooking, you'll need to add salt to taste, more pepper if you'd like.  You know it's done when the raw tomato taste is gone and the gravy takes on a darker color.  The oil may or may not rise to the top due to the eggplant and how much is truly excess!  I think eggplant eats the oil!!!!!


Enjoy both of these recipes!  Let me know what you think!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment